Sunday, December 2, 2007

Products/Artifacts

Journal One.

Once again I was in the Abitare January 2006 magazine and I came across an awesome chair. Check it out! It does not let me send a direct link of the chair, however if you go to the website and go to products at the top, mambo, then go to the side bar and click on mambo, maxi mambo you will be able to see it. The chair reminded me of a lifesaver shape inflatable chair. It was an inner tube shape/feel and at the top center it indented in so you could sit. However, it did not seem very comfortable to me. It looked like you would fit very awkwardly into it. The paragraph included read as: "Low chair with blow moulded acrylic seat available in Transparent, Red and Blue colours. Available version with recyclable PE base or steel base in chromed or Aluminum powder coated finishing". Overall I would put this chair in an area or room for looks, not comfort.

Journal Two.

This ad shows a couple cooking dinner in the kitchen and the wife is pulling out a drawer full of refrigerated fruit. The product they are trying to sell is refrigerated drawers which I think is a pretty good and convenient idea. It is all sectioned off at different adjustable sizes to be able to fit different food, bottles, etc. It is located right next to the sink which ables easy access while cooking and preparing the food. The brand name of the refrigerated drawers is Ariston.

Journal Three.


As I was looking at the REX site the main picture was this refrigerator with a movable flat screen television in the center. I saw this and thought to myself, "Honestly, why? Who would seriously need this?". After the initial factor of how stupid it was and unnecessary I figured it is pretty cool how design has moved along today. Well, even back in 2006, when the magazine was published. The design of the refrigerator well functioning to the user, the freezer is on the left door, refrigerator on the right. Below the television is the water purifier. So if you need a television in your refrigerator, I recommend a REX.

Journal Four.

I saw this chair/couch in the Abitare magazine online and I think it is awesome! I am the type of person that would definitely choose comfort over clean modern furniture and this chair I think gives an appeal of comfort with a more modern look to it. The color, material, and shape appear modern verse soft colors, shapes, and fabric. I feel like if i sit in it it would definitely fit to my shape. I could see myself sitting on it playing video games, however, this shape would require it to be in the middle of a room more than likely so realistically I see it in some sort of waiting area/lobby.

Journal Five.



I found this chair designed by Patrick Jouin in the Abitare website as well. I chose it because I like the concept of the clear chair even though personally it does not look one bit comfortable or appealing to me to sit in. I could see these being placed with a thick chunky black plastic table or some kind of plastic, bold colored table. Unfortunately I don't read Italian, otherwise I could have read to see if it was indeed glass or some sort of plastic. It also gives an ice sculpture appearance to it. I also want to know if it is glass, then how safe is it? Is is fairly easy to chip? What is the maximum weight it can handle?

Journal Six.



I was on the ID magazine website and I found the Nobody Chair. Boris Berlin and Poul Christiansen were asked by a Swedish prison to design a chair that was light, comfortable, stackable, noise-less, cavity-free, and unable to be used as a weapon. These chairs were made with PET felt which is a material made from recycled plastic bottles. This chair is 100 recyclable, washable, and indoor/outdoor friendly. Though it may not be the most appealing to the eye, it is a very eco-friendly chair.

Journal Seven.

I was looking at an ad for FLOR modular carpet. Apparently you can lay down area rug in under an hour, or a warm, friendly wall-to-wall in an afternoon. It is designed as a do-it-yourself product that I think works very well. People are all about trying to design things themselves and do-it-yourself projects around the home. Especially if you are a single woman this is an awesome Saturday afternoon project to give a fresh, clean look to any room in your home.

Journal Eight.

I was on the the Tisettanta website looking at the night storage units and I found this cylindrical night stand. I liked it because it was very clean and simple yet the front slides out for storage and you would never know that it has a storage space inside because it is so subtle and does not distract away from the clean form. It is a very modern piece that is functional as well.

Journal Nine.

Calder


I love the shape of this product. It is very unique and you do not see it very often, and the print chosen is very beautiful and bold, like the shape of the product. It is a piece designed by Jane Churchill which designs fabrics and wallpapers. It is featured in the LivingEtc October issue magazine.

Journal Ten.

This product is a sofa with shelving wrapped around it. It is a very functional piece that anyone in need of storage can have and benefit from in their home. It is designed in a very neutral color that reinforces its clean simple lines of shelving and thsi way whatever youo decide to put in the shelves does not clash with the overall piece. It is designed by Antonio Citterio for Flexform and is featured in the LivingEtc October issue magazine.

No comments: